Friday, May 7, 2010

Time in Dhaka

My dad says that every second in Bangladesh there is a photo opportunity. It is true and Dhaka has grow so much since I used to live there with my parents. It is bigger and noisier with more people and you can eat some variation of almost any type of food. In the photo below these goats are waiting to become food for someone. It is a crazy mixture of third world and rural life with those who are try to industrialize the area for some sort of commercial gain. Even so you still have goats waiting for the slaughter.
My favorite part about our time in Dhaka was getting to see my old friends who I have miraculously been able to keep in some touch with and having them meet Adam. We had all either taught together or I had taught them English. They were so thrilled to meet the man I was going to marry and all had progressed in their English skills since I had seen them last. They had also all multiplied with new babies and husbands! It was such a blast! My Bangla was rough at best but they were gracious as always to let me try to remember some! Adam did a great job adjusting even with the jet lag and decided to practice eating with his hands when we got to the village and there weren't so many people watching! That is one thing that is consistant in Bangladesh; people want to watch you do things!



Mom had arranged to have a rice meal so were were able to share dinner and then have some great cha! Adam and I love the cha (it is hard not to love since it is made with sweetened condensed milk)!

Bithi asked me before she left if she was crazy being worried about their transport. I said she was not crazy and should drive safely! Takes talent to ride with four on a motor bike! We left the next day with my parents for the village. It is only about 70 miles I think but it takes 6 hours. You take a bus then a ferry then the bus again. Don't worry - we were on a much bigger ferry than the one below but they really know how to pack the passengers on!
There was a wait to get on the ferry so we decided to walk around. Adam really liked the omlets that they made on the side of the road and then wrapped in bread. I was so thankful that he likes to try so many new foods! I just ate a bannana to avoid bus sickness. There are some crazy drivers in Bangladesh!
The trucks are all painted in vibrant colors. I loved the detail and brightness of this fuel tank!Back on the ferry! Mom and Dad are such good travelers and take time to stop and talk with people. Everyone wants to try their English with you (we stuck out again being so fair skinned and Adam so tall). Adam attracted a ton a attention and had fun trying out Bangla phrases that he learned. He caught on quickly!
When we were done with our trip and arrived in Kumerkhali where my parents live we decided to get something to eat on the way home. Adam tried to eat with his hands and of course everyone in the restaurant wanted to watch. They were thrilled that he came and wanted him to come back everyday. He was a very memorable part of their year I am sure!

This is a typical train scence going through my parent's town. Buisness is conducted on the tracks until a train comes and people just move their stands to the side. Just like the ferry - they know how to pack on the passengers!

No comments:

Post a Comment